- Eclipse Award winners American Pharoah and Untapable headline opening day at Oaklawn Park today.
- American Pharoah will be a short-priced chalk in the Rebel and has been installed as the 1-2 morning line favorite. The field looks weak and I predict 1-5. No thanks. This is his season debut, but he has been training great for trainer Bob Baffert.
- American Pharoah was the champion 2-year-old male last year despite missing the Breeder’s Cup Juvenile due to injury.
- Untapable, also 1-2 morning lineВ is facing a soft field in the Azeri. She drew a good rail post. This is also her season debut. Untapable was the champion 3-year-old filly last year. She capped her season with a sharp win in the Breeders Cup Distaff at Santa Anita.
- Also on the Rebel undercard is the return of Tapiture, 5-2 in the Razorback who takes on Ride on Curlin 3-1, Carve 3-1 and Race Day 7-2.
- Tapiture was last seen when second to Goldencents in the Breeders Cup Dirt Mile. In fact, Tapiture placed behind some of the top horses in the country last year in Goldencents, Bayern and Hoppertunity.
Let’s look at each race to see if they are worth wagering.
- In the 7th at Oaklawn, Untapable looks much the best.
- She has won 8 of 11 starts. There is not a lot of speed in the race.
- I look for either Gold Medal Dancer, or Sugar Shock to try to steal this one.
- But at the end I doubt either will offer enough value to wager against Untapable.
This is clearly a watch the odds type of race, if you can get 12-1 or more on either they may be worth a wager.
- Easily the best race on the card today, the 8th race is aВ Grade 3 8. 5 furlong race.
- I lean towards the #5 Race Day.
- I think you may get a decent price on him with the other big names here.
- He finished a close third in his last at Gulfstream.
- I think his true odds should be around 2-1.
In the 10th, and 8. 5 furlong Grade 2, the only argument against American Pharoah is he has not raced in 168 days.
That is a while.
For just a penny, I will try to beat him with Madefromlucky, 6-1 morning line and another Pletcher trained horse.
I tend to migrate towards the Pletcher horses whether I want to or not.
My best bet today is in the 7th at Turf Paradise, the #9 Ride Hard Kowboy at ML odds of 5-2.
The 3 year old gelding is 2 for 2 on the turf and looks much the best in the stakes race today.