New Mexico Lobos head men’s basketball coach Steve Alford at the game against the USD Toreros on December 10, 2008.
And then there were 16.
I think it’s safe to say that the ACC is the best conference based on the early results. There are five teams remaining, Notre Dame, North Carolina, NC State, Duke and Louisville from the conference and ironically, the regular season champion Virginia was eliminated.
Try Audible and Get Two Free Audiobooks
- There are three teams each from the Big 10 and Pac 12, while Oklahoma is the lone Big 12 survivor in what has been brutal journey for it’s conference.
- Wichita State, a number 7 seed (way to0 low of a seed) is a 1 point favorite against Notre Dame Thursday. The Shockers can’t be labeled a Cinderella story anymore, but are surely America’s darlings right now.
- I still like Kentucky over Gonzaga in the finals, although the Wildcat’s journey seems a little more difficult now.
- They will have to beat Wichita State to get to the final four and then most likely Arizona or Wisconsin to get to the finals.
- Duke and Gonzaga task just got slightly easier after Villanova and Virginia went down in the East. Although I’m not too certain any team wants to face Michigan State or Louisville. Spartan Coach Tom Izzo is unreal in March.
- Early leans would be Wichita State over Notre Dame and Xavier plus 11 vs Arizona.
- I think Duke will have a tough night with Utah and I wouldn’t want to lay the 5 although I do think the public will drive this number up.
- Gonzaga will leave the friendly confines of Seattle to face UCLA in Houston. В The Zags are the much better team and as I have been saying, really have no weaknesses.
However the Bruins are hot at the right time.
I’m glad for Coach Steve Alford. В The Bruin job is a lot more stressful than the New Mexico one.
I look for a ton of points to be scored in that game and would probably lean to the over 143. 5 right now. Although I said the same thing yesterday about the Wisconsin/Oregon game and it stayed under.
In women’s games today there are eight games and all feature the home team advancing passed the first round. Not really fair, but I understand the dynamics. There would be a lot of empty seats if every game was played on a neutral floor and that is too bad. The women’s tournament is dynamite.